Home Safety Tips
As Fern Creek firefighters it is a honor to serve our community. It is our mission to provide the highest quality fire protection to our residents, but no amount of equipment or training is more effective at stopping a fire than you taking step in preventing one. We love our job, but the best call is the one we never have to make!
Below you will find a few home safety tips as well as links to agencies that specialize in the science of keeping your home safe.
Home Safety Tips:
- Keep flammable materials at least 3 feet away from any open flames, cooking surfaces, or space heaters.
- Never leave candles, stoves, or space heaters unattended. Make sure to unplug space heaters when not in use and before going to sleep
- Have smoke alarms inside each bedroom, outside sleeping areas, and on each level of your home. Make sure to test smoke alarms and replace batteries often.
- Unplug phone and tablet chargers when not in use.
- Have an escape plan and meeting place. Have home fire drills at least twice a year.
- Clean dust from in and around appliances regularly.
- Talk to children about the dangers of fire and teach them to call 911
For additional information on how to protect your home and family check out the links below.